Sunday, September 23, 2007

Cityscapes - Community Ed Photo Safari

This past Friday, I joined the other Rochester Shutterbugs in another Community Ed Photo Safari. This was to downtown for a night of Cityscapes. These are a lot of fun. I get to hang out with a great group of guys who share my passion for photography.

This particular night I had high hopes for. I was a bit disappointed in the choice of locations and the city as a whole was uncooperative. There was no one around and it was a Friday night!

Here are some of the pictures I took. Mark P. and Mark I already have their pictures up. Hopefully, these too will stir some discussion!
We started the evening in Peace Plaza. As luck would have it, it's under construction. The outside of the historic Chateau Theater (now a Barns & Noble) mixed well with the modern glass buildings behind it.

The hardest part for me was horrific foreground. I just could never quite figure out how do shoot it.
I played around with different in camera effects all night. Since I only have the one lens, I tried to find ways to look at things in a different way.

This image uses the rotate the zoom effect. I think it actually worked here. Other places I tried it just looked odd.
This picture also uses the changing zoom effect. One thing were supposed to try and do was to tell a story in our picture. The streets were void of people...except us.

If you look closely, you can see some of the others doing their magic!
I never really got this one the way wanted it. I might go back and keep trying. People looking over my shoulder when I was going through trying to find the frames that would make the cut for this post, were really excited about this one. I don't know. I might just be disappointed in how it turned out in that I was seeing something different when I was looking at it.

Maybe a longer lens would help!
This picture here is of a gate on Second St. I have no idea what the story is for this gate, but when you see it, it really attracts your attention.

This is a rare thing for me, but I did modify this picture in Photoshop. The only change is the removal of color. The lighting here was mostly nasty. I have no idea how to white balance this one. I think the B&W convey what I was trying to express.

Mark I. has a very interesting take on this same fence. Something I never thought book worked fabulously! He focused THRU the gate so all you get is a fuzzy feeling that the gate is there.
This next image is another story to tell. Again, we seemed to be the only people out. Mark P. kept wanting to find a grizzled hobo, but no luck with that.

I like the silhouette of my classmate shows the dedication we had that evening.

These buildings can be quite beautiful in the night.
This picture officially came after class. We were on our way to Newt's for a pint when I saw these. There are a pair of these lighted posts on the stairs to the old government building(?).

The light was bright and I didn't have a tripod. This was freehand...seems the guys were getting thirsty and I was just slowing them down ;-)
Finally, one of our assignments was to find the wolf on display downtown. I believe this is it. This is a couple of pieces of marble on the outside of the Eisenberg building. I removed the color from this image in Photoshop.

I'm not sure when the next adventure of the Shutterbugs will be. I'm looking forward to what ever it is. I had a lot of fun. Maybe when Peace Plaze is done we could head back there. I'd also like to go down to the river and shoot from there.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: