Saturday, May 17, 2008

St. Mary's Hospital: Chapel: Part 2

Thanks to one of my co-workers, I discovered the campus chapel.

The sun was in the east as it was mid-morning. There is a statue of the Virgin Mary just outside this stained glass.

I really experimented here trying to get the exposure just where I wanted it. The reflection on the super clean floor was really amazing to see.

The biggest problem with this picture was getting the exposure right so the church disappeared and the reflection had color without washing out the window in the background.

We still weren't sure we were supposed to be here doing this.

Once I found an exposure that seemed to work for what I was trying to accomplish, it worked on how I wanted to do the composition.

As I usually do, I have not altered these images. They are as shot.

I get the impression that they might not be level or centered, but I can fix that in Photoshop if I need to.

Does the large amount of dark space in the bottom right picture convey the message I'm looking for or does moving the window up and making it more prominent just make for a better picture?

I really like both. I think I'm leaning to the bottom one, but I'd be very grateful for any comments about what people like best.

We learn by sharing.

Thanks for stopping by!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

fxmixer said...

I love this! I think I prefer the closer cropped one as it focuses the image more. Can't wait to see more from here.

Greg said...

I think I agree with fxmixer. I also like the closer one better. I usually lean towards the photos that have more space around the main subject, but in this case, the closer, cropped shot is what appeals to me.

Rian said...

I think the cropped shot brings your eyes into the reflection, which is what is the more gripping part of the scene.

Janine Kain said...

Great work !